• Year 7 Parents Evening - Monday 2 July from 4.00 – 6.00 p.m.
• A meeting for parents and carers of pupils going on the forthcoming Battlefields visit will be held in James Hall on Tuesday 3 July from 6.00 – 7.00
• Sports Presentation Evening – Thursday 12 July in Caedmon Hall, College of St Hild and St Bede. Tickets (£6.00) are available from the PE department staff
• Lunchtime Recital, Priors Hall, Durham – Monday 2 July at 1.15. Students from years 11, 12 and 13 will perform a varies programme of music which will last about 40 mins
• 5th Annual Durham Johnston Music Festival – 6 July (admission free). Pupils will perform their solos and complete for a trophy. Each class will have a separate adjudication.
Class 1 6pm grades 1-3 Whinney Hill Cup
Class 2 6.45pm grades 4-5 Crossgate Moor Cup
Class 3 7.45pm grades 6+ Durham Johnston Cup
• Music for a Summer Evening – Tickets £6 available from any member of the Music Department. A evening of light entertainment in the Atrium Cafe. Ticket includes first drink and light buffet.
Please click on the following link to read the Press Release.
Year 12 students Isla Jardine – Head Girl, Thomas Hogg – Head Boy and Emmeline Skinner-Cassidy were delighted to meet with some of the school’s former pupils who left Durham Johnston in 1979. The ‘old Johnstonians’ who all celebrate their 50th birthdays this year were in Durham to attend a reunion. They were very impressed with our wonderful new buildings and were very interested to hear about life in the Sixth Form from the perspective of our current students.
The following link www.parentsofnewdrivers.com will take you to the Good Egg Guide for Parents of New Drivers. The guide, which is endorsed by Road Safety BG, covers all aspects of a new drivers experience – from choosing an instructor and learning to drive safely - to the driving test and the law. The guide has been developed with key partners and will help parents to become more informed when deciding how they can help their children learn to drive. Please ring 03000 26873 if you would prefer a free, printed copy of the guide.
Please remember that even during the summer term year 7 – 11 girls may not wear sheer tights or bare legs with short skirts. If a skirt is short, tights MUST be thick – we prefer 60 denier or above. It is the only way to wear a short skirt with decency in a formal setting.
From September 2012 girls may not wear stretchy skirts. They must wear woven, not skin tight fabric. We will have skirts in school for girls to wear who arrive improperly dressed.
Parents with pupils in year 7, 8, 9, and 10 will shortly receive a copy of a data checking sheet which confirms the information that the school currently holds for their child. The document should then be signed and returned to the school in envelope provided by Friday 6 July. Pupils may hand the return envelope either to their child’s form tutor or to staff on Reception.
Please remember to notify the school of any changes of address or telephone numbers. It is crucial for your children’s safety that we know how to reach you at all times
An end of term information letter from the Head is also included in the mailing. To read a copy of the letter please click on the following link.
Our tennis teams have had an outstanding week. On Monday John Heppell, Andre Thorpe, Kristina Lightburn and Emma Bramley were representing Durham at the County School Games. They played very well throughout a long day and never lost a match to become County champions. On Tuesday the U13 boys team won 3 competitions. They beat Hummersknott and Whitburn in their final league games to win the Durham League. They also won the County Championship and then went to Puma Centre for the North-East finals. A comfortable victory over Biddick set us up for a decider against Yarm. After some outstanding tennis the match ended 3 – 3 but we won 25 -22 on game count-back. They now compete in the National Schools knockout in September. Phew! Very well done to all competitors!
On Monday our U13 girls cricket team remained unbeaten to become County School Games Champions as did our u13 golf team. That brings our total of Durham School Games County winners to 6 – no other school in the County has won more than 1 event!
Finally we are pleased to report outstanding rounders results this week with wins over both Durham School and Durham High.
Very well done to all competitors!